Tuesday, November 3, 2009

forever the fashion guru

I was reading Harper's Bazaar yesterday and was trying to remember how long this prestigious magazine had been in print. My guess was since about the 1920's.

I could not have been more wrong... Harper's Bazaar was first published in 1867 and the first cover looked a little something like this >>

They've come a long way since then. I decided to look up some of their former cover arts and I must say that 'art' is definitely the right way to describe it. Some of the covers are simply beautifully and would look lovely mounted on just about any wall.

I'm sure the magazine has gone through many changes over the years but the one that stands out to me the most (and somewhat puzzles me) would have to be the change in spellings. Why is it that they use to spell Bazaar with only one 'a' and what made them feel the need to add an extra one?

As far as fashion magazines go it's pretty much this (and British Vogue when the mood strikes me). The Bazaar is the perfect magazine to sit back, a cup of caffeine in hand and relax with. Plus I have to admit that I have a thing for the historic at the moment (as proved by my previous Max Factor blog).

I can't imagine many newer magazines these days sticking it out for the long haul the way Harper's has done (except maybe Australia's very own Frankie mag...but that might just be wishful thinking).

Also if you're wondering the issue I was just reading was this one >>

Quite a good issue if you're after a magazine read.

xxx

1 comments:

Pages said...

This is awsome stuff Belle, i'm lovin and learnin at the same time :P xox

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates